In order to qualify for membership in the Association, and thus qualify for all of the benefits of membership, a school must meet all of the following standards:
• For Full Membership a school must be accredited by HAIS. Private independent schools holding full accreditation from another accrediting agency may be admitted to Affiliate or Associate membership in HAIS if the standards in that accreditation process include the core standards of HAIS, and the agency is recognized by HAIS as a legitimate accrediting body.
• Member schools must be not-for-profit organizations and must have a governance structure consistent with independent school best practices in governance. The governing body must have established procedures for developing school policy and delineating its responsibilities.
• Member schools must adhere to the highest standards of public integrity, honoring all promises made to its various constituencies and to the general public, and avoiding misleading statements about its programs, situation or status.
• Member schools must have a clear statement of their objectives and purposes. All individuals and groups - governing body, professional staff, students and parents - associated with the school should have an understanding of these goals.
• Employment and admission practices must be non-discriminatory and in conformance with federal and state statutes.
• Member schools must make available to the families of newly enrolled students information concerning their financial responsibility to the school.