Biology- Long Term Substitute Teacher
St Andrew’s Schools - The Priory is looking for a long term substitute teacher for the spring semester (approximately the second week of February until June 5) to teach two sections of Biology.
Biology is a laboratory course that includes a study of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, genetics, evolution, and ecology. In addition to direct instruction, students use a variety of methods such as STEAM projects, hands-on activities, and classroom discussions to gain an understanding of the material. The main goals of this course are for students to develop an appreciation for scientific discovery, acquire critical thinking and laboratory skills, and build the foundational knowledge needed for advanced science courses.
Those interested should contact Nichole Field, St. Andrew’s Schools-The Priory Upper School Principal at email@example.com.
Teachers at St. Andrew’s Schools are creative, collaborative, reflective and deeply supportive of our students’ learning. As professionals, they work to create the conditions for student success and model flexibility, positivity, kindness, and life-long learning. Teachers use research-based instructional strategies that are developmentally appropriate and geared toward the students they are teaching.
Qualities and Responsibilities
- Celebrates and promotes the mission, vision, and educational philosophy of St. Andrew’s Schools.
- Creates a warm and welcoming learning environment for all learners.
- Creates a vibrant, active, and engaging classroom community by helping a student to “learn by doing” and giving them time to reflect on their learning. using research-based instructional practices to enhance students’ critical and creative thought and improve their problem-solving, communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrates knowledge and processes of scientific thinking and is proficiency in the field of Biology.
- Integrates meaningful and appropriate use of technology within the curriculum and maintains and updates classroom Canvas (website) weekly.
- Prepares and administers a variety of assessments and provides timely feedback on students’ progress to students, parents, and colleagues.
- Discusses students’ academic and behavioral progress and areas for growth with the student, parents/guardians, and school administration when needed.
- Maintains and manages student attendance and progress report records.
- Communicates (orally and in writing) with students, parents, administrators, and colleagues about curriculum, children, and child development issues.
- Demonstrates good judgment concerning sensitive information and maintains confidentiality when needed.
- Displays a sensitive, cooperative and flexible demeanor in interactions with others.
- Keeps current in contemporary pedagogical thinking, strategies, and techniques by reading professional journals and attendance at professional conferences, workshops, and courses.
- Demonstrates professionalism through reliability, punctuality, participation in meetings and staff development opportunities.
- Demonstrates professionalism in personal appearance and self-care.
- Maintains personal integrity and respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Communicates in a punctual, professional, and friendly manner with parents, colleagues, supervisors, and external community members.
- Collaborates with all departments and offices as required.
St. Andrew’s Schools is seeking a substitute teacher for Biology. The substitute should hold a BA in Science and should be highly proficient in Biology at the college level.
Specific requirements include:
- Knowledgeable about best practices in implementing educational technology in the classroom.
- Proven years of experience working with adolescence.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Regularly use close and distance vision.
- Frequently stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit, turn, bend, reach, and occasionally climb.
- Work in a climate-controlled classroom environment with a moderate noise level.
- Proficient computer skills with experience in the use of email, Microsoft Office, Google tools, and Learning Management Systems and Student Information Systems such as Canvas and PowerSchool.
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum, assessments, and utilize instructional best practices.
How to Apply
To apply, email a letter of interest (describing why you are interested in this position), resume, salary requirements, and the names and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
St. Andrew’s Schools is an equal employment opportunity employer. To learn more about our school, please visit www.standrewsschools.org.