Position: Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: Head of School
Type: Full-time, year-round, salaried position - exempt
About St. Andrew’s Schools
St. Andrew’s Schools has developed courageous, compassionate leaders of tomorrow for more than 150 years. Our founder, the great Hawaiian leader Queen Emma Kaleleonālani was a visionary and transformational thinker. St. Andrew’s Priory, the oldest all-girls school in Hawai?i, is a lasting testament to her towering vision and efforts. Since the founding of The Priory in 1867, St. Andrew’s Schools has grown to include The Prep, a K-6 boys school, and Queen Emma Preschool (The Preschool), for boys and girls ages two to five.
Our personalized educational program allows students to uncover their unique strengths, passions, and interests through discovery, practice, creation, and self-reflection. Our emphasis on social emotional, spiritual and cognitive learning sets the stage for children to cultivate healthy habits of mind, body and spirit that positions them to live a life of learning and good health.
Our K-12 education program in downtown Honolulu is the only coordinate school system in Hawai?i. We offer two single-sex schools on the same campus. Our girls (The Priory, K-12) and boys (The Prep, K-6) are educated separately in the classroom yet can socialize together on campus. Coordinate schools recognize that the social and emotional experiences that children have in schools shapes their learning – and ultimately effects how they think and act. By understanding and embracing the differences between boys and girls, we create the conditions for all students to learn and grow. Our students readily venture past societal expectations or stereotypes to reach their full promise. Students learn deeply, stay curious, are hopeful about the future, and understand how to lead themselves and others with a compassionate and courageous heart.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be a strategic thought-partner who reports directly to the Head of School. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following operational areas of the school: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, security (including IT) and facilities.
The Director of Finance and Operations will play a critical role in partnering with the Administrative Leadership Team in strategic decision-making and operations as St. Andrew’s Schools continues to enhance its educational program and physical plant. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments; and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the Board of Trustees; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the Administrative Leadership Team abreast of the school’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee and lead the staff responsible for the business, physical plant, security and IT functions in the school, and promote their professional development.
- Further develop St. Andrew’s Schools human resource management including onboarding of new employees; analysis of compensation and benefits; and the professional development, training, and recruitment of staff.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a training program to educate employees regarding school policies and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
Facilities, Safety and Security
- Oversee the physical plant (two campuses) to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
- Work with designated architect and builders to implement the campus master plan.
- Oversee the campus facilities, including maintenance, upkeep and planning for improvements
- Further develop a campus safety and security plan, communicate it broadly, and provide training for all employees.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least five to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience with final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has overseen a human resources function
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A successful track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of St. Andrew’s Schools
Compensation & How to Apply
This is a full-time, year-round, salaried position offering a generous benefits package including retirement plan, health benefits, paid vacation and more. Please send resume and references to Ms. Camille Michel (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications accepted until the position is filled.
St. Andrew’s Schools is an equal employment opportunity employer. To learn more about our school, please visit www.standrewsschools.org.