Full Time Lead Teacher: Middle School Classroom (6-8)
Roots School is an accredited independent private school for students from Preschool to 8th grade. Through out project-based approach, multi-age setting, small classes and emphasis on critical thinking and creativity, we create a flexible learning environment to encourage students to develop their unique potential.
Our Mission: Through experiential and academic learning, we encourage students to integrate creativity, critical thinking, integrity, and compassion to engage collaboratively and realize their potential as unique, fulfilled individuals.
Roots School is looking for a well rounded, experienced, lead teacher for the 6-8 grade classroom. This is a single, multi-aged classroom, with multiple subjects to teach students between 6th and 8th grade levels.
Responsibility with Students
- Maintain paperwork for each student
- Monitor student behavior and redirect students who need it
- Maintain classroom as a safe, respectful environment that cultivates learning
- Encourage appropriate behavior, communication and conflict resolution
- Aid students in creating academic and non-academic short and long-term goals
- Work with students to develop project and time management skills necessary to be successful
- Work with students to develop self-control and self-advocacy
- Create behavior plans and behavior contracts with students and families as necessary
- Assess assignments, projects, and tests
- Employ project-based approaches in teaching strategies, which include planning field trips and inviting in guest speakers.
- Have a working knowledge of state and national standards, benchmarks, and assessments
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences
- Consistently assess student achievement through informal assessments
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of students
- Coach individual students and groups; promotes development of social skills through group interaction
- Encourage understanding of racial and cultural diversity, and social mores
- Responsibility with Parents
- Prepare for, conduct, and coordinate parent conferences
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents
- Be available for additional meetings beyond conferences if necessary
- Responsibility with Community
- Help find community contacts
- Check and responds to emails in a timely manner (daily)
- Attend our annual open house and assist with recruiting efforts
- Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods
- Present a positive role model for students that supports the mission of the school
- Demonstrate interest and initiative in professional improvement
- Help prepare school spaces for open houses, presentation nights, etc. and help keep the school clean each day
- Present yourself in a professional manner, speaking positively of ROOTS, especially in the community
- Attend and help with our fundraisers
- Attend ,prepare for, and participate in our annual graduation ceremony
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Enforce school policy
- Attend all staff meetings
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials
- Is present each scheduled day from 8:30 am-3:30 pm unless otherwise noted
- Maintain a professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Content Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, and teach (language arts, social studies, science, math)
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records and other documents requested for student portfolios
- Address current issues in the news, and happenings in the world and local community.
- Communicate with other staff and parents regarding the content of each class
- Work with other staff to create interdisciplinary projects and classes
- Order materials and find resources
- Provide curriculum and supply documentation for annual budget
- Design and implement content areas using state and national standards
- Administer and grade homework, quizzes, and tests
- Maintain confidentiality of all information regarding students,
- Report suspected child abuse according to the law, policies, and procedures
Plus a full health and dental benefits package, paid sick/personal days, and tuition remission for staff employees