Position: Lower School Teacher (K-5)
Type: Full-time, 10 month, salaried position-exempt
Start Date: August 12, 2019
At St. Andrew’s Schools, The Priory Lower School teacher develops an inspiring, engaging, and challenging curriculum for elementary-aged students within a warm and nurturing learning environment. The Priory Lower School teacher develops unit and lesson plans in line with curriculum objectives and facilitates learning by establishing a relationship with students through daily interaction. The Priory Lower School teacher is skilled in personalizing instruction to inspire, engage, and challenge each child to amplify and realize her full potential in becoming a confident learner, creative thinker, and compassionate leader. She/he is knowledgeable about the physical, intellectual, social, and emotional developmental stages of young children and skillfully engages in developmentally appropriate practices and adapts her/his instruction and day-to-day engagement with students to meet every child’s needs in an all-girls context.
The classroom teacher is professional, collaborative, and supportive of The Priory Lower School through her/his contributions. The teacher participates actively in professional development opportunities and reflective teaching practices; she/he is committed to working with all students and celebrates the diversity of St. Andrew’s Schools as reflected in our students, faculty, staff, and extended ‘ohana. She/he is comfortable managing the demands and pressures of the position. Teachers at The Priory model flexibility, resilience, a growth mindset, mindfulness, and technological competence to our students in and outside the classroom. This position assumes that all general expectations and Basic Teacher Expectations (refer to Faculty Handbook) for all classroom teachers will be met.
- Adheres to and promotes the mission, vision, and educational philosophy of St. Andrew’s Schools
- Creates a vibrant, active, and engaging learning environment in and out of the classroom, using research-based, developmentally appropriate teaching methodologies to engender critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, problem solving, and communication skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of elementary education curriculum and instructional methodologies and proven ability to develop a student-centered, personalized curriculum
- Prepares course objectives and outlines course of study following curriculum guidelines, curriculum maps, and any school requirements as guided by the mission of St. Andrew’s Schools
- Integrates meaningful and appropriate use of technology within the curriculum and maintains and updates classroom Canvas (website) on a weekly basis
- Prepares and administers a variety of assessments; records results and provides timely feedback on students’ progress to students, parents, and colleagues
- Tailors instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Creates a warm and welcoming learning environment by facilitating the creation of group agreements in the classroom and actively guiding and supporting student interactions and relationships
- Maintains order in the classroom and throughout common campus areas
- Counsels students when students face academic and/or behavioral challenges
- Discusses students’ academic and behavioral progress and areas for growth with parents/guardians
- Maintains all records pertaining to student attendance and students’ progress
- Communicates (orally and in writing) with students, parents, administrators, and colleagues about curriculum, children, and child development issues
- Demonstrates good judgment concerning sensitive information and maintains confidentiality when needed
- Displays a sensitive, cooperative and flexible demeanor in interactions with others
- Keeps current in contemporary pedagogical thinking, strategies and techniques by reading professional journals and attendance at professional conferences, workshops and courses
- Demonstrates professionalism through reliability, punctuality, participation in meetings and staff development opportunities
- Demonstrates professionalism in personal appearance and self-care
- Maintains personal integrity and respectful attitude in professional relationships
- Communicates in a punctual, professional, and friendly manner with parents, colleagues, supervisors, and external community members
- Collaborates with all departments and offices as required
- Assumes other job-related duties assigned by the Lower School Principal
St. Andrew’s Schools is seeking an accomplished lower school teacher who has 3-5 years of teaching experience in an independent school and holds a Bachelor’s Degree and/or a Master’s Degree in Education, Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent.
Specific requirements include:
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum, assessments, and utilize instructional best practices
- Proficient computer skills with experience in the use of email, Microsoft Office, Google tools, and Learning Management Systems and Student Information Systems such as Canvas and PowerSchool
- Knowledgeable about best practices in implementing educational technology in the classroom
- Proven years of experience working with young children
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Frequently stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit
- Turn, bend, reach, and occasionally climb
- Work in a climate-controlled classroom environment with moderate noise level
How to Apply
To apply, email a letter of interest (describing why you are interested in this position), resume, salary requirements, and the names and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com. Letters may be addressed to “Members of the Search Committee”. Include ST. ANDREW’S SCHOOLS THE PRIORY Lower School Teacher in the subject line. All submissions will be received in confidence.
Deadline to apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
St. Andrew’s Schools is an equal employment opportunity employer.