High School English Teacher
Who we are…
Maryknoll School is a Catholic, college-preparatory day school serving students in grades K-12. We are a nurturing and welcoming community that values academic excellence, lifelong learning, service to others, and the courage to imitate Jesus by word and example. Our academic model is based upon the following metaphor - school should help students establish their own landscape. At Maryknoll School, we want our students to create their own worlds filled with promise and potential. Our school motto is Noblesse Oblige, “to whom much is given, much is expected.” To that end, we also encourage our students to foster a deep spiritual connection with one other and within their community. We believe that to be successful as an adult, students must learn independently, communicate effectively, understand how to set and meet goals, use technology efficiently and be financially and economically literate. For further information about Maryknoll School, go to https://www.maryknollschool.org.
What we need…
Maryknoll High School is seeking a High School English teacher with an unwavering commitment to student growth and success. We are looking for teachers who prioritize building authentic connections through engaging assessments which provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery over time.
The ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following characteristics:
- A love of English in all of its forms
- A background in High School English instruction including reading, writing and speaking
- Demonstrated success in teaching Social Studies and English to students in grades 9-12
- Strongly believes that all students can, and should, enjoy a hand-on college-preparatory Social Studies curriculum
- Thorough experience with the Common Core English Standards
- Knowledge of effective differentiation and customization practices to support teaching students from diverse backgrounds, including learning differences
- Minimum of 1 year teaching experience in public, charter, parochial, or independent school
- Interest in continuing professional development in English education.
- Interest in contributing to a school culture and community outside and beyond teaching English.
- Enjoys working with students and colleagues in collaborative settings.
- Preparation of course materials, working from existing curricular frameworks, texts, and assessments
- In-school tutoring of students using Flex-Time
- On-campus supervision duties as assigned during the school day
- Faculty Mentor to students as part of our Advisory Program
- Willingness to participate in some aspect of the school's extracurricular life