- 9 New Ways to Use Flipgrid in the Classroom, The popular tool has features that teachers in any subject can use to help students connect with each other and share they learning. January 2020
- Yes, College Admissions Officers Do Look at Applicants' Social Media, Survey Finds, Guidance counselors often warn their students that college admissions officers may be taking a peek at their social media accounts. And a new survey confirms their cautions. January 2020
- Sorry, There's No Easy Toolkit for Social-Emotional Learning. But It's Worth the Work. SEL has an $11 return on every $1 investment. So what are we waiting for? January 2020
- Exploring Ways to Say So Long to Traditional Letter Grades, This article will explain how to shift students' mindsets, issues it may cause, and equitable grading. February 2019
- Differentiating Instruction: It’s Not as Hard as You Think, In this video, teacher and author Larry Ferlazzo explains that differentiation is not about long nights of planning and grading, but about being flexible and making decisions in the moment based on what your students need.
- 3 Myths of Personalized Learning, In order to implement and improve personalized learning, we first need to reach agreement about what it is - and what it isn't. February 2019
- 2019 Education Research Highlights, Does doodling boost learning? Do attendance awards work? Do boys and girls process math the same way? Here’s a look at the big questions that researchers tackled this year. December 2019
Global Online Academy
Hawai'i Business Magazine
Inside Higher Ed
- 'Neuromyth' or Helpful Model? A nearly century-old idea about learning remains "ubiquitous" despite scant scientific evidence to back it up, many experts say. But others still see value in the concept. January 2019
Katie Martin - Author, 2018 LSOTF Facilitator, SOTF Featured Speaker
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York Times
NPR/HPR Podcasts and Articles
- The Conversation: The Future of Independent Schools, Public or private school? Today, we focus on the latter. As the Hawaii Association of Independent School marks its 50th anniversary, we talk past present future of private schools across the islands. We have seen several closures of schools struggling to stay afloat in the face of rising tuition and falling enrollments in the past decade. New licensing rules kick in this summer, so what’s the snapshot on the horizon as we begin 2020? January 2020
- The Future of Learning? Well, It's Personal, A deeper look into personalized learning. November 2018
- Town Square: Project Based Learning, Traditional lecture-based methods of instruction often fail to engage learners of all ages. Project-based learning has been heralded as not only a better way to impact knowledge, but also teach kids vital life skills such as teamwork and self-advocacy. February 2017
Social Emotional Learning
- What Are Emotions, Explore the emotional landscape of life and identify those hard to define feelings with these fascinating talks.
- What Makes a Good Teacher Great, Azul Terronez TEDxSantoDomingo, Azul has been asking the question: What makes a good teacher great? for 24 years. He has collected 26,000 responses from 8 different schools and patterns have emerged.
- Do Schools Kill Creativity, Sir Ken Robinson TED2006, Still the most-watched of all time—he claimed that “we are educating people out of their creative capacities” and charged the current education system with being too rigid in adhering to traditional academic subjects. Kids, he argued, need time to dance, draw, create and find what they’re good at.
- Lets Teach for Mastery - Not Test Scores, Sal Khan TED Talks Live, Would you chose to build a house on top of an unfinished foundation? Of course not. Why, then, down rush students through education when they haven't always grasped the basics? Yes, it's complicated. but educator Sal Khan shares his plan to turn struggling students into scholars by helping them master concepts at their own pace.
- The Cult of Homework, America’s devotion to the practice stems in part from the fact that it’s what today’s parents and teachers grew up with themselves. March 2019
The Epic Classroom
The Hechinger Report