HAIS Teacher Recognition Awards
The purposes of this award is to:
- Recognize the unique accomplishments of staff in HAIS member schools;
- Establish a direct relationship between HAIS and its member schools;
- Provide staff members with external recognition for their accomplishments.
Educator of the Future Award:
The HAIS Educator of the Future award supports and echoes the National Association of Independent Schools principles for teachers, which are to:
- Promote initiatives in equity and justice, global perspectives, and educational technology so that these elements have an even greater profile in schools of the future.
- Research new approaches and develop capacity to access best thinking and practices.
- Project and predict new ways of teaching and learning.
- Capitalize on new technology for teaching, learning, and communicating.
Winners must meet the following criteria:
Must be a full or part time staff member from an HAIS member school.
Leadership: successfully led a school or community to engage with, design and implement a solution for a significant need, problem or challenge.
Creativity: questioned the status-quo and seized an opportunity to develop a new program, system, etc. that creatively furthered the strategic mission of the organization.
Culture: promotes a culture of questioning, positivity & optimism, risk taking and discovery focused on constant improvement within the organization.
Delivery: exhibits excellence in communicating by engaging stakeholders with the innovative initiative in both clear and compelling ways.
Impact: able to share an engaging explanation of the immediate and longer-term impact the innovation had on the organization to support and inspire innovative practice within the independent school community.
- Each participating school will receive a plaque with blank name plates for both the staff and student award. It will be the school’s responsibility to have the name plates engraved.
- Each winner will receive a certificate from HAIS signed by the Executive Director and Board Chair.
- Each winner will receive a personal letter from the HAIS Director.
- Award recipients’ names and schools will be published on the HAIS website, e-news, and other publications.
When: Each award can be presented annually to one staff member.
- Winners are selected by each individual school. HAIS will review each application to ensure the recipient meets the criteria.
- The school must complete an application form that includes a brief statement describing how the winner meets the award criteria.
- Applications are available throughout the year. On the form, the school includes the presentation date.
- Schools are welcome to invite HAIS staff members to present the award, in person, at graduation or award ceremonies.
Cost: An initial charge of $75 (per award), which includes: engraved plaque with blank name plates for the school; certificate for the winners; personal letter; winners published in HAIS communications.
Please contact Robert Landau for more information.
2016 HAIS Educator of the Future Award Winners
We would like to congratulate the following teachers on receiving the 1st Annual HAIS Educator of the Future Award:
All of these educators have extraordinary leadership, creativity, positivity, optimism, and innovative initiatives. Matt, Branden, Van Nicholas, and Mark are truly educational leaders, not only in their schools but across the State of Hawai'i. Mahalo nui loa to the four of you for all of your hard work!
(Pictured Left to Right: Paul Turnbull, Dr. Mark Hines, & Deanna D'Olier)