HAIS Student Recognition Awards - HAIS Vision Award
The purpose of this award is to:
- Recognize the unique accomplishments of students in HAIS member schools;
- Establish a direct relationship between HAIS and its member schools;
- Provide high school students or 8th grade students (if school does not go to high school) with an external award that can be used for college applications or job placement.
HAIS Vision Award:
HAIS Vision: To support member schools, and other organizations, in preparing all students for the challenges of life and social responsibility.
The winning student must demonstrate how he or she has furthered the HAIS vision by: preparing himself, herself, and/or others for the challenges of life and social responsibility.
Winners must meet the following criteria:
Diversity: The winner celebrates the gifts of each person and creates spaces where all people are respected and honored; leads others through intentional activities that create and celebrate diversity; and is willing to explore and make themselves vulnerable in order to challenge accepted societal norms.
Social Justice: The winner cares about justice for humans and all living things; is conscious of the far reaching effects of their actions; and works for justice at the local and/or global level through direct service and social change, such as political action, community organizing, or advocacy.
Leadership: The winner makes exceptional contributions to the community through leadership; helps those they lead create a vision and move through change based on group values; leads within the framework of the school and other communities; and makes positive contributions through intentional planning and effort.
Care: The winner demonstrates genuine care for others in their attitude, interaction, and involvement; acts with care toward others, and demonstrates self care.
Integrity: The winner demonstrates a commitment to fostering citizenship, integrity, and ethical behavior. Recipients must be involved in activities that promote integrity through social justice, peace, religious, racial, and/or cultural harmony, have the ability to inspire and lead others to distill their values, actively display principles and ideals translating into actions, and are committed to the ethical dimensions as related to the core values fostered at the school.
- Each participating school will receive a plaque with blank name plates for both the staff and student award. It will be the school’s responsibility to have the name plates engraved.
- Each winner will receive a certificate from HAIS signed by the Executive Director and Board Chair.
- Each winner will receive a personal letter from the HAIS Director.
- Award recipients’ names and schools will be published on the HAIS website, e-news, and other publications.
When: Each award can be presented annually to one student.
- Winners are selected by each individual school. HAIS will review each application to ensure the recipient meets the criteria.
- The school must complete an application form that includes a brief statement describing how the winner meets the award criteria.
- Applications are available throughout the year. On the form, the school includes the presentation date.
- Schools are welcome to invite HAIS staff members to present the award, in person, at graduation or award ceremonies.
Cost: An initial charge of $75 (per award), which includes: engraved plaque with blank name plates for the school; certificate for the winners; personal letter; winners published in HAIS communications.
Please contact Robert Landau for more information.
2016 HAIS Vision Award Winners
HAIS would like to congratulate the following students on receiving the 1st Annual HAIS Vision Award:
All 6 of these students have demonstrated how they have exemplified the HAIS Vision by: preparing themselves and others for the challenges of life and social responsibility. Marc, Jordan, Ku'i, Elizabeth, Jasmine K. and Jasmine C. are leaders not only in school, also in the larger community. Mahalo for all of your hard work Marc, Jordan, Ku'i, Elizabeth, Jasmine K. and Jasmine C.! We can't wait to see your accomplishments in the future!